Thursday, October 7, 2010

Where Does Censorship End?

October 7th, 2010

Being that I love myself a good gore-fest, you knew this rant was coming. It was inevitable. In fact, I ranted about this so much to a producer friend yesterday that he compared my anger to a Category 5 hurricane.

And I'm not even a flippin' filmmaker. (Not yet, at least.)

If you're into horror or at least have even the vaguest idea of what happened with Hatchet 2 earlier in the week, then you know where I'm headed with this. I'm headed into the depths of MPAA hell.

*Insert evil laugh here*

Director Adam Green's latest flick was released on a limited curve by AMC Theaters UNRATED. It was a huge accomplishment- not just for horror, but for all genres. If the film had been given a chance to succeed, it could have changed the way movies are released. So then on Monday, the movie was yanked from theaters- why? Was it the fact the movie made only $60,000 (which, come on, isn't THAT bad, it could have made zero) or was it a publicity stunt to increase DVD sales?

Neither- those assholes yanked H2 because the MPAA threw a bitch fit and started doing everything in their power to prevent any success coming from this film. It's such a shady situation that the movie was being pulled as early as FRIDAY.

That's right- it was taken out of theaters BEFORE anyone could even see the damn movie!Just when you think you've beaten the system, it's shit like this that throws you through a loop.

I think censorship is wrong in any form. Being that I'm a creative individual, I love expressing myself in a way that some people may not agree with, but it's my right to do so as a human being. I don't think anyone should be told what they can or cannot do by an anonymous group of corporate quacks. I also don't like, as a fan of movies, being told what I can or cannot watch. That shit ended when I turned of age and could go to any movie I wanted- my choice.

I DO think it's important to have a ratings system. I think people should be able to see what they're getting themselves into. I think that parents should know what they're children are watching. But the rest has to stop- for the sake of cinema.

Nazi Germany, anyone?

Peace, Love and Heartbreak ♥
A

SIDE NOTE: Once my article featuring ADAM GREEN, RILEAH VANDERBILT and the legendary KANE HODDER is posted on BLOODY-DISGUSTING, I will be adding the rest of their interview here on THE ALBIN WAY. Stay tuned :)

No comments: