Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rolemodels

July 7th, 2010

... er, lack there of.

I'm not really one to cover gossip. There are enough of those sissy writers in the world. But I do want to take advantage of the Lindsay Lohan drama that's unfolding- and the fact that she's about to spend 90 days in jail.

I'll give the girl one thing- she's tough.

I'm a realist. I understand that the majority of celebrities and public figures aren't exactly 'rolemodel' material. They use drugs. Have sex. Cheat on their husbands/wives. Lie. They do everything we're told we're not supposed to do-- which makes me wonder if Los Angeles is closer to Sin City than our beloved Las Vegas.

The trend of young celebrities taking on adult situations is what scares me. Why? Because the most important individuals in our young lives are who are encouraging this behavior-- the family. Whether it's the mother, the father, or even the brothers and sisters, young Hollywood is in for a rude awakening when the drama unfolds. Just like their predecessors, their money disappears, they find solace in drugs and alcohol, and, for the most part, they drop off the radar- until they do something crazy.

Even if the families aren't directly responsible- something led to this behavior. We know it wasn't an influx of money and clothes.

I actually feel for Lindsay Lohan. Her mother pimped her out, her father turned out to be a real douscher, and her sister, well, she's well on her way to becoming the town whore. She's been dumped, she's been neglected, she's been given too much freedom from too early an age-- but, ask me if I feel SORRY for her. Go ahead. I dare you.

Absolutely not. Feeling for someone, and feeling sorry for them, are two different demons.

Lindsay Lohan deserves those 90 days in jail- but she'll be a better human being because of it. This is her wake up call to grow up, make a career, and get the hell out of Dodge- what she does with it, however, is up to her. 

I have no sympathy for the young stars who blame the world around them for their mistakes. I understand that your parents are fucked, you're broke, and you're girlfriend left you- but that's no different than what happens in our world. The real world.

I'll tell you a Cinderella story. One about a young girl who works in Hollywood. She dropped out of college. She worked at Macy's. She's spent a couple of years as an underpaid, overworked nanny. She's been dumped- multiple times. She's been broke. She's been without a car. She's worn clothing from Wal*Mart because the mall was too much. Both of her parents croaked before her 23rd birthday. Parts of her family have disowned her. But instead of whining about her life, blaming her pitfalls on others, turning to the party scene, and wrecking her future- she made a career out of it. She writes from the heart. She tears at the strings of millions. And she runs a successful company- one that she put together through her own blood, sweat and tears.

That girl is me. I hate excuses. And what's more important is that they consider me 'young Hollywood.' Lord, don't confuse me with those brats from The Hills.

I can't entirely blame these girls- like I said, the families are the ones responsible for creating such monsters, but seriously, wake the fuck up. Be a rolemodel. Girls look up to you. Men want to be with you. Do you want to disappoint people even more or prove that you're different?

This goes for the young ones whose families have nothing to do with their demise as well. The Heath Ledgers. The Brittany Murphys. All I have to say is- what the fuck were you thinking?

What I'm trying to say is this- if you drive a Benz, go shopping on rodeo drive, and have millions reading about you and staring at you-- what the hell do you have to be so damn stupid and depressed for? Try being homeless, driving a junker, and working at the mall. Then you can call me and complain about your life.

Peace, Love and Heartbreak ♥
A

No comments: