Sunday, July 18, 2010

C. Nolan Does It Again!

July 18th, 2010

Christopher Nolan had me at hello. I'd probably blow the guy if he asked.
(Just kidding. :D)

It all started with Memento. Insomnia was another amazing masterpiece. But it was The Dark Knight that sucked me in and made me realize that I was watching a genius at work.

Inception gave me those tingles all over again. I don't care what Avatar fans say- this was, by far, the most mind blowing movie of its time.



I'll admit, Nolan is one of my favorite directors. I think he is extremely talented and could quite possibly make a hamster fascinating. However, I didn't have high expectations for Inception.  The trailers intrigued me, yes, but the premise sounded a little off. Combine that with my disappointment with Leo in Shutter Island and the overdone hype, I thought the movie was going to be just another summer blockbuster that's forgettable on DVD.

I don't say this very often- but I was wrong.

It blew me away. From the unbelievably entertaining storyline, to the great ensemble of actors, to the amazing graphics- frame for frame, Inception stole my heart.

Nolan has a tendency to make fiction fact. He can make you believe that Gotham is a real city, or that you're really inside of a dream. Despite the technology used to make the film, it still seemed real. It didn't feel like you were inside of a video game- it just felt, oddly real. There's no other way to describe it.

From a storytelling standpoint, Nolan did a great job at keeping us intrigued by not only Leonardo's 'Cobb,' but also involving the other characters in a web that eventually tied together. And the use of scenery was brilliant- everything from vast cities to a winter wonderland laced with blood. It made the movie even more spectacular.

Enough of my raving. Just get off your ass and go see it in theatres. If you're like me, you'll be back for a second viewing.

Peace, Love and Heartbreak ♥
A

No comments: